Friday, February 26, 2010

A Bird in the Apartment!




Last summer, I had an unexpected visitor to my apartment. Having just returned home from an afternoon pet sitting, I was checking my emails and noticed my cat acting jumpy. Assuming a noisy truck or neighbor was the cause, I thought little of it. Suddenly, a black object went hurtling past my desk heading straight for the kitchen. Madison dove for cover. Racing down the hall, I expected to find a creepy bat flapping around the windows, but instead saw a frightened starling eyeing me from the top of my curtains, as if saying, "How do I get out of here!?" He had squeezed through an opening in a window that had slid down enough to let him in. Not wanting to hurt the poor guy, I chased him with a towel until finally cornering him on the counter top. Carrying him downstairs, I released him to the trees where he looked very happy and relieved. He wasn't the only one. When I told some clients this story, a few had a strange reaction. "Oh!" they said, "A bird in the house means death!" Well, it's been months now, and nobody has died yet. Has anyone else heard that particular superstition?
   

No comments: